Around this time I usually do a year-in-review type post that looks back on some of the memorable events of the previous year but this year I decided to do something a little different. I am so excited about 2013. So, instead of looking back I am going to list some of the things (blog related and otherwise) that I am greatly anticipating in the new year!
1. Grub With Us (and me! A Girl in her Kitchen!)
A little before the holidays I was approached by this new, exciting social dining network and asked if they could host a meal for AGIHK fans in the Chicago area as part of their Veg Month. Basically, this foodie-oriented website brings people together over great food at local restaurants. You can read about it here. Stay tuned for site and date details if you want to join our table! Sometime later this month…
2. Hosting a reading of (one of) my husband’s new musicals! This winter my husband is having a preliminary reading of his new musical at the house to get feedback before it is read out in LA. I am very excited and I was even more excited when I was asked to cater the event (because I work for cheap). I’m not sure what I am going to whip up quite yet, but I have some ideas…
3. Traveling to Japan in March! I am looking forward to another trip to the other side of the world this Spring. In addition to seeing the cherry blossom festival, Tokyo, and my husband’s pieces premiered at the Suzuki World Congress, I am looking forward to checking out the food culture and cuisine of Japan!
4. A bunch of other non-kitchen related things like: hitting the halfway mark in my doctoral course work this Summer (almost halfway to being Dr. Girl in Her Kitchen), research projects, presentations, manuscripts, applying for grants, getting another Master’s degree, starting my dissertation, and celebrating my 8th wedding anniversary in August (what???).
5. And, finally….Blogging! I plan to blog a lot more this year! My blog has had over 12,ooo views since I switched over to WordPress and I hope to hit 20K soon! I don’t know if that is a lot in the blog world but it seems like it to me! Stay tuned for more recipes!
Here is my first recipe for the new year, Beef and Barley Stew! Hearty, easy to make, and delicious! Also, Gluten-free!
Beef and Barley Stew
1 box low-sodium beef stock
1 onion, chopped
1 lb. ground beef
2 large carrots, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 cup chopped spinach
3/4 cup pearl barley
1 bay leaf
herbs- dried thyme of herbs de Provence
Place beef in large pot and brown. Add onions and cook for a couple minutes till translucent, then add garlic. Add carrots, spinach, and season with a little salt and pepper. Add box of stock, herbs, bay leaf, and barley and bring to a boil. When it is boiling, place lid on pot and turn down to low. Let simmer for about 20 minutes until barley is soft. Season to taste before serving.